The education sector, which otherwise operated with a traditional approach, and lived with conventional challenges for years, underwent massive transformations with the adoption of technology across each of its dimensions. And since technology is here to stay, the education sector will continue to experience many more changes in the future.
One of the many challenges that the education sector faced, and in some places, continues to face even today, is maintaining the exam’s integrity and controlling malpractices during the examination.
While the physical presence of a supervisor has always been critical, with its many practical limitations, the purpose of securing the exam’s integrity and security remains unserved to quite an extent. But technology, as always, comes to the rescue amidst such challenges through a solution termed online remote proctoring.
Let us look at some conventional challenges that the education sector encounters without remote proctoring and see how online remote proctoring proves a new-age and comprehensive solution.
What is online remote proctoring?
Remote proctoring proves a significant element of the online education ecosystem. It enhances the quality of online examinations and keeps a lot of malpractices at bay. What does remote proctoring do? Remote proctoring enables you to emulate the role of an on-site proctor. It confirms the test identity of the test-taker and thus secures the integrity of the examination through an internet-powered phone-based examination monitored by a remote proctor.
There exist three types of remote proctoring.
- Live Online Proctoring: Live proctoring involves continual invigilation of students’ activities with the help of an online proctored exam.
- Advanced Auto Proctoring: In this type of proctoring, the remote proctoring software identifies suspicious activities and practices and makes it available for the proctor to view them later.
- Recorded Proctoring: As the name suggests, recorded proctoring enables you to take screenshots. It records log data to allow the proctor to see it later.
3 Challenges Faced by Educational Institutions without Remote Proctoring
- Cheating During the Examination
The presence of a physical proctor proves critical in maintaining the exam’s integrity. However, it doesn’t prove as effective, as students can still cheat during the examination. Here, there’s a need to create a system that keeps an eye on every student individually and exercises control over any possible misconduct or cheating that might happen.
- The Need to Arrange an Online Exam Center
The absence of remote proctoring makes it almost mandatory for an educational institution to conduct physical examinations. It is especially when conducting the online examination isn’t possible or isn’t as secure. Besides, in places where conducting proctored online examinations isn’t possible, students have to travel long distances amidst logistical challenges and still make it to the examination center on time.
- Inability to Verify the Student’s Identity
The education sector has moved to online examinations. However, in many places yet, maintaining the integrity of online examinations is a challenge. The lack of live video supervision and the inability to video or photo verify the student’s identity paves the way to challenges that include dummies attending the examination.
How does online remote proctoring help enhance the quality of online examinations?
Let us look at some of the advantages of remote proctoring to understand that online remote proctoring enables you to augment exam security and maintain its competitiveness to ensure it serves its purpose.
- Improves the integrity of the online examination
- It helps the institute to video-verify the students’ identity
- Helps avoid and flag suspicious activities and malpractices
- It eliminates the need for a physical proctor and examination
- It eradicates the need for students to travel to the examination center
Get the Online Remote Proctoring Advantage with EDOFOX
EDOFOX is online exam software that enables you to create online examinations quickly. Online remote proctoring forms one of the many features of the software. EDOFOX proctoring services allow you to emulate the presence of an online proctor, confirm the identity of the test-taker, and keep an eye on students’ activities through the examination. For more details, or to choose EDOFOX as your online education partner, please write to email@example.com.